WYTCH HAZEL (UK) - IV: Sacrament (2023)

Κους-κους για τα άλμπουμ που γουστάρουμε.
Απάντηση
Άβαταρ μέλους
CountRaven

WYTCH HAZEL (UK) - IV: Sacrament (2023)

Δημοσίευση από CountRaven »

Ξέρω πως κάποιοι το περιμένετε καιρό. Έρχεται.

Εικόνα

1. The Fire's Control
2. Angel of Light 04:50 video
3. Time and Doubt
4. Strong Heart
5. Deliver Us
6. A Thousend Years
7. Gold Light
8. Endless Battle
9. Future Is Gold
10. Digging Deeper 06:23
For many all-time-great rock bands in the ascendant, the fourth album is often the point where youthful years of febrile creativity and progressive momentum culminate in a masterwork for the ages, setting the seal on an early signature sound while opening it up to future possibilities. From enchanting 2016 debut Prelude, through 2018’s assured II: Sojourn, to 2020’s wizardly III: Pentecost, each Wytch Hazel album has embodied that old-fashioned notion of unstoppable progress, and the glittering treasure chest that is IV: Sacrament proves eminently worthy of rising to the toughest challenge. Not just the Lancashire quartet’s most classically beautiful production, but their strongest yet front-to-back collection of affecting hooks and ageless melodies.

A very tough challenge it was, too; records this good don’t get banged out willy-nilly, and Jimmy Page, Ian Anderson and Freddie Mercury didn’t have to fit recordings in between day jobs and school runs. “This album has been a trial,” sighs founding singer/guitarist Colin Hendra with his head in his hands, his voice full of cold. “It’s been a tough few years for everyone, which plays into it, but it was exhausting. Working full time, trying to be a dad and husband, running the band, writing the albums - and being a complete control freak about every aspect of the process...” Colin breaks off and chuckles at his Eeyorish approach to album promotion. “But there’s no gain without pain!”

The triumphs and tragedies are written all over IV: Sacrament. Working closely again with regular producer Ed Turner, Colin’s God-given gift for diamond songwriting has been enhanced to majestic proportions with Ed’s Roy Thomas Baker doozy of a production job, his expressive sonic trickery sublimely underscoring the varied musical moods. “Me and Ed like the same albums, so we’re singing from the same hymn sheet every time,” enthuses Colin. “We love the Sabbath production, obviously Martin Birch, and the Queen albums; we want it to sound like Wytch Hazel, which it kind of always does, but we want it to also have that classic sort of quality.”

Colin describes his working relationship with Ed as “perfectionism amplified. We’re a good match but bad at the same time! It takes ages to get an album done, but if it’s going to be done we want to do it right.” The new studio looked promising: a converted Baptist chapel in rural Wales, chock full of vintage gear. However, with personal reasons forcing drummer Jack Spencer to step back from the band (subsequently departing in September 2022), Colin took on the additional laborious task of completing all the drums himself. As well as all the vocals, lyrics, lead guitar and drums to fret over, there were so many mysteriously blown cabs, amps and vocal cords you might suspect the Devil was trying to stop anyone else getting the best tunes. “I don’t know why we have such bad luck,” groans Colin. “Engineers were scratching their heads, like ‘how have you done this?!’”

Now Sacrament is finally offered - and sounds as fantastic as it does after all the blood, toil, tears and sweat - you might think Colin could finally bask in the glory of this resounding achievement, but he’s not even fully comfortable taking credit for his own songs. “When I listen back there are multiple times when I’m like, I don’t even know how this happened,” he ponders. “I know I wrote it, but I don’t feel complete ownership over them. It has that sense in which... there’s something else, and I’m a part of it.” On previous albums, specific influences were readily discernible, and although Angel Of Light tips a nod to Angel Witch and Endless Battle nails the sweet spot between Steeleye Span and Judas Priest, Sacrament’s ten songs zero in on a sound and style that’s all their own. With assertive, explosive earworms like The Fire’s Control, Strong Heart and A Thousand Years and the profound emotive magnetism of Time And Doubt, Deliver Us and Digging Deeper, Wytch Hazel revel in their distinctive Wytch Hazelness. Colin’s Christian faith continues to inform much of his lyrical outlook, but there’s a disarming openness and emotional force that might have you reaching for the Kleenex.

“It’s some of the most honest songwriting I’ve ever done,” Colin reflects, “and they come from a darker place, I think. I’m getting older, that comes through in some lyrics: ‘see my body breaking’, ‘I’m digging deeper’, ‘time’s running out...’ I struggle to see the positive a lot of the time, so the songs end up being negative, the subject matter coming from constant striving.” Among all the doomsayer tendencies, gorgeous sylvan acoustic strum Future Is Gold proclaims a radiant optimism, but it’s more hope in the eternal than an expectation of earthly improvement. “It’s rooted in scripture,” Colin explains, referencing the Book of Haggai: ‘the glories of this latter house will be greater than the former’. “I struggle to believe that half the time, with the state of the world, but who knows what level that is? Will the afterlife be better, when all suffering has ended, or is what we see as better not actually better? If things are always going comfortably, it isn’t always the best thing for us. An element of suffering is necessary.”

Suffering has clearly been necessary for the creation of the fourth Wytch Hazel album; let’s hope for Colin’s sake the next one requires a bit less. “I’ve blown my own mind a bit,” he concludes. “And even after all this painstaking work, I still feel like I’ve only scratched the surface of what we could be doing musically. I wish I could have a month to work on one song, and go on a tangent a bit. I will in the future, it’s going in the right direction. I’ll get to the stage when I can commit more time and do an odyssey or something!”
releases June 2, 2023

Drums, Guitars, Vocals, Piano & Organ - Colin Hendra
Guitars - Alex Haslam
Bass Guitar – Andrew Shackleton

Mandolin & Mellotron – Ed Turner

Recorded at StudiOwz, Pembrokeshire, Wales
Produced and mixed by Ed Turner
Engineered by Owain Fleetwood Jenkins
Mastered By Terry Waker at Tonalex
Photos by Sam Scott Hunter
Artwork & Layout Nathaniel Winter Herbert
Ο παλιμπαιδισμός των νεώτερων μπαντών "είμαστε τόσο εκτός σκηνής αλλά ηχογραφούμε για την Metal Blade" μόνο underground δεν είναι. - Zippo190 - Forgotten Scroll Forum - 2018
Άβαταρ μέλους
CountRaven

Re: WYTCH HAZEL (UK) - IV: Sacrament (2023)

Έχω την εντύπωση ότι με το προηγούμενο είχατε πάθει αμόκ.

Εδώ βλέπω μόνο ένα κουτένιο καρδουλάκι. Τι σημαίνει αυτό Βίρνα;
Ο παλιμπαιδισμός των νεώτερων μπαντών "είμαστε τόσο εκτός σκηνής αλλά ηχογραφούμε για την Metal Blade" μόνο underground δεν είναι. - Zippo190 - Forgotten Scroll Forum - 2018
Άβαταρ μέλους
CountRaven

Άβαταρ μέλους
Skullfist

Δημοσίευση από Skullfist »

Τα δείγματα είναι πολύ καλά. Στο γνωστό μελωδικό 70s υφος
Άβαταρ μέλους
CountRaven

Άβαταρ μέλους
Grin

Δημοσίευση από Grin »

Εχω κολλήσει με αυτό απο χτες, τι ωραία μπάντα είναι αυτή
Άβαταρ μέλους
CountRaven

Πολύ καλό το καινούριο.
Άβαταρ μέλους
aorpanos72

Δημοσίευση από aorpanos72 »

Το έχω βάλει για ακρόαση.... Πανέμορφες μελωδίες. Βγάζουν αυτήν την νοσταλγία τα παλιόπαιδα.
" When Hairspray Meet Shoulder Pad" Show at Mercury-radio.net
Άβαταρ μέλους
theBox

Δημοσίευση από theBox »

Δεν ειναι καθολου κακο. Απλα ειναι μαλλον η πρωτη φορα που μενουν στασιμοι σε σχεση με τον προηγουμενο δισκο και μου φαινεται λιγο "ξαναζεσταμενο".
Αυτα με τις πρωτες ακροασεις. Θα επανελθω. Προς το παρον ενα κλικ κατω απο το προηγουμενο.
Εραστής του έντεχνου μεταλλικού ήχου.
Άβαταρ μέλους
CountRaven

theBox έγραψε: Παρ 02 Ιουν 2023, 20:40 Δεν ειναι καθολου κακο. Απλα ειναι μαλλον η πρωτη φορα που μενουν στασιμοι σε σχεση με τον προηγουμενο δισκο και μου φαινεται λιγο "ξαναζεσταμενο".
Αυτα με τις πρωτες ακροασεις. Θα επανελθω. Προς το παρον ενα κλικ κατω απο το προηγουμενο.
Έχουν βρει τη φόρμουλα και δεν την αφήνουν.
Άβαταρ μέλους
vasilis2112

Δημοσίευση από vasilis2112 »

2 και 3 δικάρες!
Αυτό δε μου χει πει πολλά ακόμα.
Άβαταρ μέλους
CountRaven

vasilis2112 έγραψε: Τρί 13 Ιουν 2023, 19:54 2 και 3 δικάρες!
Αυτό δε μου χει πει πολλά ακόμα.
Θα σου σκάσει πιστεύω.
Άβαταρ μέλους
Advancing Yokeda

Δημοσίευση από Advancing Yokeda »

Εβδομάδα appreciation για τους Wytch hazel για μένα και τρέχω να καλύψω κενά...

Υπάρχει καλή δόση από Ten σε κάποια κομμάτια και από αυτά γαντζώθηκα. Απo τα 3 που έχω ακούσει ως τώρα το Pentecost έρχεται πρώτο, αλλά το φετινό μου αρέσει περισσότερο από το Sojourn.

Και τα 3 άλμπουμ κατεβαίνουν νεράκι.
Behold their steel
Black forever
On their blades the curse
The sorcery of death
Άβαταρ μέλους
Priamos

Δημοσίευση από Priamos »

Μπάντα μόνο του best of για μένα οι Wytch Hazel και τίποτα παραπάνω. Πολλή μετριαντζα και υποτονικότητα και σε αυτό το άλμπουμ (ίσως περισσότερη από ποτέ) αλλά δύο κομματαρες μπήκαν και πάλι στο τσουκάλι για "αποταμίευση" (The fire's control κ Endless Battle).
Surreal Killer
Άβαταρ μέλους
theBox

Δημοσίευση από theBox »

Priamos έγραψε: Δευ 06 Νοέμ 2023, 19:36 Μπάντα μόνο του best of για μένα οι Wytch Hazel και τίποτα παραπάνω. Πολλή μετριαντζα και υποτονικότητα και σε αυτό το άλμπουμ (ίσως περισσότερη από ποτέ) αλλά δύο κομματαρες μπήκαν και πάλι στο τσουκάλι για "αποταμίευση" (The fire's control κ Endless Battle).
Γενικα ναι, απλα το προηγουμενο στεκοταν ολο σε καλο επιπεδο. Εξαιρεση μάλλον.
Εραστής του έντεχνου μεταλλικού ήχου.
Απάντηση

Επιστροφή στο “Metal Κυκλοφορίες”